[NABS-L] Question about justifying training

michael.ausbun at gmail.com michael.ausbun at gmail.com
Wed May 2 01:28:15 UTC 2018

Hello Mikayla,
	Congratulations on making the  decision to attend training; making
that choice is not easy, and neither is selecting where to go.
I believe that Rex is on the right track with his suggestion. The one
additional suggestion I would make is to tie your justification back to your
vocational goal. Although VR counselors enjoy to hear that their clients are
happy and living good, productive lives, their ultimate goal is to be a
vocational rehabilitation counselor. The VR process is built around the
obtainment, or maintainment, of employment. Thus, the individual plan for
employment, which is the guideline for all services rendered. The vocational
goal at the top of the IPE drives the entire plan (if a  service is
unnecessary for obtaining the vocational goal, then services can, and will,
be  denied). For example, if your vocational goal is to be a dishwasher for
a cafeteria, your counselor will not include attending college to your
services section of your IPE, because college is unnecessary for being a
dishwasher.
	So, as you right your justification letter, keep in mind what you
have down for your vocational goal for your IPE. It is good to explain how
it will improve your life and how it will benefit you in the future, but
always frame it in context for achieving, maintaining, or advancing future
employment as specified through your vocational goal.
If you have questions, please reach out. The VR process can be confusing,
but if you understand the process you can truly get a lot of support from
the VR agency.
Respectfully,
Michael Ausbun
First Vice President, National Association of Blind Students
Vice President, national Federation of the Blind of Nevada
Graduate Assistant, Louisiana Tech University
Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness
"Together, we are changing what it means to be blind!"
Louisianacenter.org