[NABS-L] September Discussion Starter

michael.ausbun at gmail.com michael.ausbun at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 21:27:16 UTC 2018

Hello Everyone,
	I think this is a great topic for discussion as well! I will detail two experiences: rushing the Kappa Sigma Fraternity and competing on the university's parliamentary debate team:
Greek Life
	Greek life itself is chock-filled with access challenges–everything from the cultural attitudes of the smartest, most athletic, or most 'lit' rager to the traditions that very rarely take into consideration ability in the diversity expectations. I new this going into the experience my sophomore year of my undergraduate career, and I also had the opinion that I could resolve any access barrier I set my mind to solving (this was not necessarily accurate, but I sure believed it at the time).
	First, let me just say that every chapter of every organization at every university is going to be unique. Let me also say though that there is no fraternal experience quite like that of Kappa Sigma. From the undergraduate brothers at the University of Nevada, to those in other chapters, and even the alumni volunteers: every man was willing to make a change to ensure equal access. Sure, they had craptastic expectations, and sure, they often did things that had me saying "hey, yeh  jerk...did you even think before you did or said that?" But often it came back to education, sharing my Federation philosophy, and reminding them, usually through demonstration, that blindness was not a single inhibiting characteristic. Truly, a life changing adventure. I even found an alum, who just so happened to be first vice president of our Washington Affiliate!
Debate
	This one was extremely challenging, but also incredibly rewarding. At the time, I did not have a lot of blindness skills, nor great confidence in my abilities as a blind person. I joined the debate team, who often experiences nationally competitive success. I had no idea what debate consisted of, nor did I know how to do many of the things they wanted me to do–use google docs, speak at 300-400 words per minute, write down argumentation that everyone in the room was spouting, and run around campus like a mad man. I also did not know at that time, like many other things, ability was not something they really ever thought about when it came to their diversity statement.
	I worked with the National Parliamentary Debate Association (NPDA) to develop strategies for incorporating accommodation and accessibility within their tabulation software, postings, and distribution of materials. I also worked with many debaters, who have gone on to law school or graduate school, teaching them about maintaining high expectations.

	Ultimately, when I have joined organizations at my previous institution of higher learning, I always tried to live the federation philosophy as I under stand it. Part of it is maintaining high expectations, part of it is powering forward in the pursuit of equality, opportunity and security, another part of it is patience and love.  I have so many other thoughts, but this is already getting way, way too long.
Love and peace to all of you for this quarter/semester.
Respectfully,
Michael Ausbun