[NABS-L] Tips on using a support cane

Ben Fulton bluezinfandel at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 9 15:56:25 UTC 2018

Hi Rania,

For stairs you might want to loop the cane like I mentioned, or in some way put the white cane away, I would say you definitely want a folding cane for this. And then hold the handrail. If you can have the handrail with your bad ankle, and then you can use your arm on the rail to take the weight off your bad ankle, and use the support cane to detect what is on the stair case until you get to the top or bottom of the stairs, and take out the white cane again. Takes a few extra minutes, but will keep weight off your ankle.

If you don't have a handrail on the side you need it, use the handrail anyway, just be a little more careful putting your weight on the support cane. You may have to sweep with the support cane, then use it for support to take a step, and repeat.