[NABS-L] tech for college

sophie trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 16:30:41 UTC 2018

Hi Maura,

     Windows all the way over Mac, although it's good to be at least passingly familiar with both. Windows is more universal; you're much more likely to work with Windows in a school or workplace. In my opinion, Apple has been lagging behind in accessibility for VoiceOver on the Mac. It's just not keeping up with other screen readers.
     Different screen readers behave differently in different situations, so it's a good idea to have more than one. I would heavily recommend investing in JAWS. However, NVDA is free and easy to install, so why not have that one too? I've come across situations where a website works better with NVDA than JAWS and vice versa. If you have both screen readers on your machine, you can flip between them as needed. You should also take note of Narrator, Mierosoft's built-in screen reader. Its new update is making it much more accessible and intuitive. The multitude of screen reader options is another reason I'd go with Windows over Mac. Yeah, you can boot-camp a Mac to run OS and Windows, but that's a PAIN!!!
     For KNFB Reader/Seeing AI, it depends on what you plan to use it for. Seeing AI is cheaper and has a lot more versatility. It can read money (multiple currencies), scan bar codes, and work with photos. However, KNFB Reader is still superior in the OCR arena. I have both on my phone.
     I've been a BrailleNote user for ten years (lord, just writing that makes me feel old), and I love my BrailleNote Touch. That's what I'm using to type this email. However, I'd recommend playing with both of them if possible, to determine which is the best fit for you. Personaaly, I don't see the point of having both a notetaker and a braille display. Best of luck!

Sophie