[NABS-L] tech for college

Mausam Mehta mausam.mehta.nfb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 15:02:34 UTC 2018

Hi Maura!
All of the advice on this thread so far has been excellent. You're in good hands.
Here's my two-scents, if you can even call it that.
The big thing to remember is that you should use what works for you and your budget. Whether your VR is helping you purchase your tech, or you're going at it on your own, make sure to think hard about what you might study, what you have comfortably and efficiently used in the past, and how much of a learning curve you might have if you are trying some new technology. You don't want that learning curve to overshadow what you're using it for in the first place.
Personally, I use a Focus 40 blue, paired with my Windows PC and NVDA. I decided to forego JAWS and see how NVDA would work for daily use, and so far it's great. But I agree with others that if you have the opportunity to have both, take it.
For scanning software, I have Seeing AI on my phone. As previously mentioned, it has a lot of versitile features in a single app, which keeps you from having to download mmultiple apps and programs.
I also have Kurzweil 2000, which scans documents into text and allows them to be editable on my computer. You can also use Openbook with JAWS to do similar tasks. I have heard good things about both.
One more thing. I have found that Soundscape, a microsoft app, has proven extremely useful during travel, especially for exploring the general environment. It's great for quick orientation to large campuses. of course traditional orientation services are highly valued and more effective, but this is a neat way to work on routes on your own.
HTH

Mausam Mehta
Board member | National Association of blind students
A proud division of the National Federation of the blind
(540) 466-6033
mausam.mehta.nfb at gmail.com

www.nabslink.org