[NABS-L] Sign Up Today! Field Test Groundbreaking New App for Blind Youth

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 19:41:14 UTC 2019

Field Test of 4to24: App for Youth and Parents to Focus on Employment
Sign up by December 31!
“Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope!” Star Wars fans know the
scene well. Robot “R2-D2” played a message asking for help.
Here’s your R2-D2 message: “Help us teens and young adults, you’re our
only hope!” The NRTC on Blindness & Low Vision at Mississippi State
University needs you to join field testing of our groundbreaking new
app!
Here’s the mission, should you choose to accept it: The new app,
“4to24”, needs to be tested.
What’s the app all about, you say? Ah, good question. The app helps
youth who are blind or visually impaired learn about:
•	Putting together a resume and finding summer jobs;
•	Prepping for college;
•	Building technology skills;
•	Learning about self-advocacy;
•	Getting involved and feeling comfortable in the community; and
•	Uncovering hidden gems—resources, that is, available to young adults
who are blind or visually impaired.
The app will send you info, links, and suggested activities based on
your age and interests.
More about the field test
We need youth or young adults who are blind or visually impaired, ages 16 to 24.
To help, you’ll create an account in the app and use the app for six
months. You’ll also fill out a series of surveys. Surveys will ask
questions about prepping for future work and about goals and thoughts
on your future. We’ll also ask for your feedback about how the app
fits your needs.
You’ll use the app as you normally would, and complete surveys related
to our study before, during, and after the 6-month trial period. The
surveys should take between 10 to 30 minutes each, for a total of
about 1.5 hours of time on surveys. Participants who complete the
final survey of the study will receive a thank-you gift card for $35.
Think you’re up for field testing the app and participating in our
study? Please fill out the information form at this link:
msstatecoe.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5uaUlPCXCtQWxal.
Need assistance or have questions? Get in touch with Anne Steverson
(acc155 at msstate.edu) or Karla Antonelli
(kantonelli at colled.msstate.edu).