[NABS-L] Discrimination in college

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 14:46:07 UTC 2019

Hi Mikayla,

Nicole has some great advice here.  Documenting everything will be the
key to remaining secure in this kind of situation.  It has been my
experience that disability services offices sometimes bow down to the
professors and allow them to dictate what they do: what kinds of
accommodations a student can receive, what kind of placement a student
gets for an internship, and even whether or not a professor allows a
disabled student in their class.  You're right that disability
services staff should be on your side, but unfortunately, this is not
always the reality.

I think the thing that bothers me the most in this situation is the
child development piece.  They keep snacks out for the kids to eat
throughout the day, so they need for every adult to be able to see and
hear the students eating.  This is discrimination, nothing more,
nothing less.  Requiring that vision or hearing be essential for the
performance of a job where those things don't have to be...  That's
not legal.  And to be quite honest, functioning ears and eyes aren't
infallible.  Fully sighted and hearing people get distracted and don't
pay attention to their senses a good deal of the time.

I wish I knew how to argue that case though because obviously if the
center is still keeping snacks out, they wouldn't see it that way.  If
you pursue the child development course, don't let these excuses scare
you.  It might be more benefitial though to find a classroom or child
development center where you can engage with the children rather than
simply observing, since this will be more useful for you as a blind
person.  You'll have to engage directly as a teacher or social worker
or in any field that involves interacting with children.  Simply
observing won't generally work for you, and getting a sighted
assistant won't really prepare you for that.

Good luck with your formal grievance process.  You are brave, and you
are going down a path many of us wished we had in college.

Julie

--
Julie A. McGinnity
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; President, National Federation of the