[NABS-L] College Board: AP Scores and Experience with Accommodations

Miso Kwak misokwak12 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 02:45:18 UTC 2019

Hi,
The last time I interacted with the College Board was in 2013, so it's
been a while but reading this thread makes me think of a few
incidents.
1. First, I took 6 AP exams in total throughout my high school career
and think that I received fair scoring on all of them, including one
that was not as good as I would have liked but I also knew that I
struggled a lot... perhaps there is one exam that I think I could have
scored 5 instead of 4,  but it was also a very difficult exam. I
decided not to dispute it because 4 and 5 is not that big of a
difference, when it comes to receiving actual college
credits(typically just a few unit credit difference).
2. I noticed that every single AP exam I took was different from the
version that my sighted classmates took. I suspect this has something
to do with College Board's concern of "leaking the test" in the
process of getting them transcribed. I do not think it is necessarily
fair that my exam was different from that of my classmates, and I do
think there is a way to transcribe the same test that my classmates
take without risking the information leak during the process of
transcribing. That said, I did not raise the issue with the College
Board as I thought my tests were scored farily. Sighted students also
actually get different versions depending on when they take the test
(i.e., if you elect to take the test at a later date because of some
conflict such as having two exams being scheduled at the same time)
you won't get the same exam that was offered on the first date of that
exam.
3. A strange thing happened with my AP European History exam.
Initially my score was 4, which I was a bit bummed about but did not
dispute because it was still a passing score. However, one full school
year later, out of the blue, I got a mail from the College Board
notifying me that they found an error in their scoring, so they
regraded and increased my score to 5.

I think what you experienced with the AP English Language and U.S.
government exam is absolutely unacceptable. I have had some
frustrations with the College Board while trying to get my
accommodation request approved and receive accessible practice
materials but not so much in regard to getting the actual exams and
scoring...
Good news is... you will most likely never have to deal with them once
you enter college and get your AP scores sent to your university.

Miso