[NABS-L] North Carolina

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Sun Mar 24 03:54:29 UTC 2019

Aloha Miranda,

I no longer live in North Carolina, but I have lived in the piedmont area and the eastern coastal plains. I believe there are still a lot of employment opportunities there, and I have no reason to believe that the suburban and urban areas are unfriendly to pedestrians. I think you can choose your city based on how walkable it is. The Raleigh area seems quite comfortable in my opinion.

Before I consider moving to any state, I always use my Federation connections to research the area, including the state president. I encourage you to do that. Some people might be uncomfortable with the blindness part of the question, but a lot of the concepts are, I think, more generic. How friendly the job market is has little variation in how it is influenced by disability, at least on the US mainland. North Carolina is culturally quite similar to Virginia.

If you want to be there, don't let disability be a reason to stay.

Good luck,

Justin

Justin M. Hideaki Salisbury
he/him/his

Board Member | National Association of Blind Students
   A proud division of the National Federation of the Blind
(808) 797-8606
president at alumni.ecu.edu | www.nabslink.org