[NABS-L] Employment Accessibility Obstacle

Lewis, Anil ALewis at nfb.org
Fri Sep 13 20:26:57 UTC 2019

Kiana:

Please have their IT staff contact Karl Belanger kbelanger at nfb.org, Accessibility Analyst  here at the NFB Jernigan Institute.

Anil

Anil Lewis, M.P.A.
 (410) 659-9314 x 2374
National Federation of the Blind

-----Original Message-----
From: NABS-L [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Kiana Harlan via NABS-L
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 1:27 PM
To: NABS-L at nfbnet.org
Cc: Kiana Harlan <carolinarose422 at gmail.com>
Subject: [NABS-L] Employment Accessibility Obstacle

Hello everyone,

I haven’t mailed in for quite some time, but I’ve always found so many helpful people when I have. Hopefully I can find someone who relates to my current scenario and can provide some guidance. Right now, I’m in a bit of a complex situation. I’ve been looking for a job for the past 4 months, and I may finally be at a point where I’m going to get an offer. It’s an incredible position in a city I’m in love with. I went in for the interview last Wednesday, and the supervisor contacted me on Friday to ask some follow-up questions. They mainly consisted of whether I felt safe with the clients. I told her I did. She’s also concerned about accessibility when it comes to me using their electronic health record to input client information.

I’ll be a clinical social worker, and this is a therapist position, so using the EHR is going to be a big part of it. Their record isn’t mainstream. They developed it within the agency, so the supervisor has been trying to contact their IT people to see if they know anything about the usability with screen reading software. She called me again today and told me that she’s still trying to find answers, and she doesn’t want to extend an official offer until she knows something. I absolutely do not want this to fall through due to that unknown factor. I’ve tried contacting my counselor at Division of Services for the Blind. I feel like I’m on shaky ground and would rather have guidance and someone in my corner before proceeding. Unfortunately, my counselor has been on leave since the end of May, and the person who is covering my case has not answered my calls or returned voicemails.

This is a very time sensitive situation, and it’s something I want to be on top of. The accessibility may be an obstacle, but I’ve been able to problem-solve in the past to get around it. Has anyone else been in this situation? Any suggestions, advice, or guidance would be greatly appreciated, especially from people who may be in a health-related field and have encountered electronic records. The one at my graduate internship was inaccessible, but I was able to do assessments and notes via word document. The secretary would upload the documents. I could present this, but that would be putting additional work on another employee and it’s not ideal, especially since this is an actual employment position. I’m determined to make it this last step and land this job!

Warm regards,

Kiana Harlan