[NABS-L] How do I best deal with making graphs and using scientific instruments in my environmental science class?

Kendra Schaber redwing731 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 20:59:42 UTC 2019

Hi all!
I know I don’t post very often in less I run into something major. I ran into something major today for my environmental science class. I wasn’t effected during the first class period itself. When I met up with my science teacher after class during my lunch break, some questions came up that I had some idea on how to answer but was missing critical information. How do I go about making graphs in an environmental science class? According to my science teacher, he informed me that I have to actually turn scientific data and promptly turn it intto a graph. Since I’m blind, there are some major accessability problems around any graph items that come up in any form. I told him to use tables instead of graphs when sending me information electronically. But it still doesn’t answer the question of how to make them. I’m not just talking about the graphs that most see in math classes. I’m talking about things like bar graphs, pie graphs, exponential graphs and simular. How do you all navigate this problem? Also, the other query came up with scientific equipment. One example is microscopes. I said that my in class assistant might be able to look into one for me and give me the information that’s acquired only via looking through a microscope. There might be other tools that I don’t know about, however, it still leaves yet another accessability gap with us blind science students. So, how do I navigate scientific measuring and data colecting instruments? Do I only use my in class aid or will I have to acquire additional tools? Can I use an in class assistant until I can get such tools? The earlier I know this information, the better off I’ll be. Thank you!!!

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear", Author Unknown.
Thank you for reading this email! Also, please note that I have eighth grade spelling. I'm well known for spelling mistakes. Ironicly, writing is one of my gifts.
Blessed  Be!
Kendra Schaber,
Student of Chemeketa Community College,
member of 350.ORG Salem,
Member of the National Federation of the Blind of Oregon, Capitol Chapter.
Writing on my Polaris Braille Sense.
Using both Gmail and Outlook.
Go Detroit, Red Wings! Go Pittsburgh, Penguins! Go Portland, Winterhawks! Go Baltimore, Oriels!  Go Baltimore, Ravens! Go Oregon State Beavers, baseball and football teams!