[NABS-L] Handling a google hangout calendar invite

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:12:56 UTC 2020

Hi Elizabeth:

Google Meet is certainly not an ideal platform from an accessibility
platform, and I really wish the person you are meeting with had chosen to
use Zoom. Unfortunately, my college is firmly entrenched in the Google
universe, so at times I also have to use Google Meet and do the best I can
with what I have.

>From my experience, your best bet is to download the Google Meet app on your
iPhone. When you get the invitation, there will be a direct link you can
click on which will open the app and take you into the meeting. Note that
the app has a bug which causes VoiceOver to talk through the earpiece rather
than the speaker, so you have to put the phone to your ear to hear it. From
the screen you land on when you click on the direct link, you have to double
tap on "join meeting," at which point you will be in. As you might imagine,
the easiest way to get into a meeting is to open the email on your phone.
Otherwise, you will have to write down the meeting ID and enter it manually
into the app.

To answer your second question, there is a way to dial in on the phone as
you would with a traditional conference call. The phone number and meeting
pin will also be in the invitation you get, so you will have to write down
that information and dial it in. Unfortunately, Google Meet doesn't have the
"one-tap mobile" option that Zoom has--one of the many advantages Zoom has
over Google Meet. I hope this helps you get started.

Stay safe!

Chris