[NABS-L] Starting College, I'm Scared!

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 21:17:55 UTC 2020

Hi Alisha,

It's totally normal to be freaked out at the prospect of starting
college.  It's a new journey, and college is completely different from
high school.

Agree with what has been said in previous messages.  Sometimes it
seems like a daunting task, making friends in college.  Try to engage
with people in your dorm if you're living on campus this year.
Introduce yourself to everyone you can, and invite your room or suite
mates to go to dinner or coffee with you.  Also, think about the kinds
of organizations you've been involved with in high school.  All of
that should be available to you in college as well.  Church groups,
sports teams, interests and hobbies...  You can find almost anything
to join in college, seriously.

Most importantly, be yourself.  It sounds cheesy, and I'm sorry for
that.  But college isn't about being overly outgoing, super
competitive, or anything else.  There are all types in college, so
think about your values and what's important to you, and keep those
things close.

I wish you all the best!  College and grad school were the best times
of my life, and I hope the same for you.

Julie

--
Julie A. McGinnity
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; American University Washington College of