[NABS-L] SPSS and JAWS Accessibility Question

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 17:35:58 UTC 2020

Hi Amy and all,
As I mentioned on the phone, Microsoft Excel may be a good alternative
to SPSS if the accessibility bugs in SPSS haven't been fixed yet
(which I suspect is the case). I just found out that Excel 2016 has an
"analysis add-in" which will run many common procedures including
T-tests, ANOVA and regression. Here's how to activate it:

1. From Excel, go to File, Options.
2. Arrow down to "Add-Ins"
3. Arrow down to "Analysis Tool Pack" and click go.
4. Check the "analysis tool pack" checkbox (it's unchecked by default)
and click OK. (From now on, you should be able to access the data
analysis functions).
5. Open the Excel file with the data you want to analyze. Then, go to
the Data ribbon, and arrow down to Analysis (near the bottom).
6. Select the procedure you want to run from the combobox, tab to
"next" then enter the rows and columns for the data set you are
analyzing. For example if you want to run a T-test to compare the data
in Columns A and B, and each column has 10 rows, you would type
"A1:B10" into the edit box.
7. After selecting your options and clicking next, your output should
appear in a new sheet which will open automatically.

I literally just learned about this and I wish I had known about it
sooner. I'm curious to know if it is helpful for others.
Also-Excel can run many simpler statistics without the data analysis
add-in, just by using formulas (typing an equal sign followed by the
formula and array). For example, things like mean, median, standard
deviation, etc. can be done quickly in Excel. Here's a list of all the
formulas available:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/statistical-functions-reference-624dac86-a375-4435-bc25-76d659719ffd

Best, Arielle