[NABS-L] Spanish Class!

ctate2076 at att.net ctate2076 at att.net
Thu Jul 2 03:18:20 UTC 2020

Kendra:

I just completed my A.A. and took two semesters of Spanish online, prior to COVID-19. I am not sure how your school will incorporate distance learning with a foreign language, but there are two online platforms that I have used. Vista Higher Learning (VHL), VHLCentral.com, was the most accessible of the two software platforms I used in conjunction with Spanish online. They recently updated the platform, so it will not be usable on Internet Explorer; I used Google Chrome for Spanish 2. The issue I had with their platform was the lessons that were matching exercises. They would present pictures of what would correspond to a vocabulary word and you had to match it. There was no audio description in either English or Spanish, so unless you are given multiple attempts on that lesson, you will run into issues.

McGraw Hill was used for my first attempt at Spanish 2. Accessing the e-book and vocabulary was difficult. The navigation gave me trouble as well. That is why I withdrew and took the second Spanish 2 class the following semester with the instructor that taught Spanish 1.

Your biggest accessibility issues will arise with the instructor lessons on the school's distance learning platform. Some instructor lessons may be inaccessible due to the pdf files they use. Also, there are some keyboard shortcuts you should learn, as this will make it easier to write your lessons in Spanish. On this note, those keyboard shortcuts will help you if the instructor uses VHL Central. Using a screen reader may make the accent buttons not work and you will have to type those in.

It may seem like an insurmountable challenge, but you can be successful. Reach out to the instructor for the class as soon as you are able to. Of course, remain in contact with your school's disability office as well. I have not used Blackboard as a blind student, so I am not familiar with any accessibility issues, but I have used Angel and Canvas. Hopefully, your school will look into Canvas, as I have found that to be the most usable distance learning system.

I hope this all helps!

Buena suerte,
Camille Tate

Sincerely,
Camille Tate

President, Melbourne Space Coast Chapter, National Federation of the Blind, FL
Board of Directors, National Federation of the Blind, FL
Email: ctate2076 at att.net