[NABS-L] Secure Accessible Transcribing Software?

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 2 23:21:01 UTC 2020

Hello All,

I am working on a research project this summer that requires me to transcribe recordings on a secure computer server through remote desktop access. Is anyone on the list familiar with any accessible transcribing software that can be used on a secure computer server?

The transcribing software they want to use is InqScribe. However, this software appears to be rather inaccessible. After some further investigation, it appears as though the Express Scribe and Gearplayer Programs would be candidates for accessible transcribing software. I saw more documentation about the Express Scribe program, and believe the full paid version should meet the security qualifications for this project.

Does anyone have any experience using either the Express Scribe or Gearplayer  Transcribing programs? If so, would either one be a good candidate for me to use for this project? And would I be able to use them through remote desktop access? I was informed that I would not be able to hear both my JAWS screen reader and the audio from the recording through a remote desktop connection. So I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone could provide me.

I am not completely sure which email list would be most appropriate for my questions. So I thought I would try posting them to this email list. However, please feel free to pass along this message to any other appropriate email lists.

Thanks,

Elizabeth