[NABS-L] Filing Taxes

Harry Staley hstaley at nfbtx.org
Sun Jun 7 19:46:38 UTC 2020

BLUF:

"If Social Security Disability benefits are your only source of income and you are single, you do not necessarily have to file taxes. Doing so, however, may be in your best interests – such as the case with stimulus payments that you may not receive if you do not file taxes.

The general rule of thumb to follow is that you will have to pay federal taxes on your Social Security Disability benefits if you file a federal tax return as an individual and your total income is more than $25,000. If you file a joint return, you will have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a total combined income that exceeds $32,000."

See the article below:
https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/faq/file-taxes-when-receiving-disability-benefits#:~:text=If%20Social%20Security%20Disability%20benefits,you%20do%20not%20file%20taxes. <https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/faq/file-taxes-when-receiving-disability-benefits#:~:text=If%20Social%20Security%20Disability%20benefits,you%20do%20not%20file%20taxes.>