[NABS-L] Blackboard Collaborate

Kendra Schaber redwing731 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:38:15 UTC 2020

Hi!
I had to go online this spring as well. I personally think Blackboard is pretty accessible overall. There are some features I don’t like. I find that embedded links and other visual information that gets linked to some of the courses to be totally inaccessible. The discussion board that’s on there is accessible to screen readers via being able to read the screen itself. On the other hand, it’s not fully accessible when you include user friendlyness, and work flow equality because it’s very clunky and doesn’t allow blind people to work it in an equivelant work flow when compared to sighted students who also use it too. There might be some technical tricks that are on there that I don’t know about, conciddering I’m middle of the road with my tech skills. But I think it takes longer for blind students than sighted students to work the discussion board, even when blindness related technique is taken into account. There are also websites, videos, documents and the like that are posted that are not accessible. Also, keep in mind that websites such as the one to your school’s library might have issues with accessibility or that post inaccessible content. Usually, I have run into both problems with my school’s library website. So, be sure to explore your whole school’s website and look out for all accessibility barriers including work flow issues that are caused by accessibility issues such as inaccessible buttons that allow for you to make the website function with your screen reader along with the ability to read posted materials and/or being able to perform all tasks in an equivelant manor to your fellow sighted class mates.