[NABS-L] Diversity and Inclusion Committee’s First Committee Call - Tomorrow

Rilee Sloan rilee.sloan1 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 23:20:10 UTC 2020

The NABS Diversity and Inclusion Committee is dedicated to expanding
diversity and inclusion initiatives to promote a healthy and nurturing
culture in the organization.  As a new committee, we will need all the
support we can get to accomplish our goals. There are a variety of
opportunities for members. Among other tasks, this can involve creative and
artistic contributions, leadership opportunities, and writing samples.

The Diversity and Inclusion Committee will meet on the first Sunday of
every month at 7:00 pm EST, with the exception of this month. We will meet
on the Sunday, March 8th at 6:00 pm EST. Please bring your ideas and
enthusiasm for the committee. We will brainstorm ideas for the committee
today. Please join the call using the following Zoom information:
ID- 16468769923, pin- 6143070858#.

Before our first meeting, here's a bit about the chair and co-chair of the
committee:

"My name is Rilee Sloan. I serve as the chair of the NABS Diversity and
Inclusion Committee. I am a sophomore history and political science major
at Oklahoma City University. One fun fact about me is that I’ve never
gotten a brain freeze. To me, diversity and inclusion means empowering
people by respecting and appreciating everyone’s differences. Diversity and
inclusion enables people to explore their differences and their identities
in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment."

"Hey, y'all! I'm Johna Wright, and I'm very excited to serve as the
co-chair of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee. While you all may know
me as the woman behind social media, I am looking forward to expanding my
role and tackling topics that I am passionate about alongside you all. I'm
a senior psychology major at Mercer University, but I'm currently studying
abroad at the University of Essex in Colchester, England. A fun fact about
me is that I can say and spell the longest town name in Wales, which is
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Personally,
diversity and inclusion means that we create a safe place where differences
are appreciated and respected by all, and everyone is comfortable
expressing their unique intersectionalities around others."

One last thing: in order for our committee to understand and respond to
your needs within the organization, we have generated a quick survey. We
would greatly appreciate it if you could take approximately five minutes to
fill it out. Don't worry; everything is completely anonymous unless you
choose to leave us your info! Here's the survey:
https://forms.gle/o1h7VGJUYXi2yDve8

Rilee Sloan, Chair of the NABS Diversity and Inclusion Committee
(he/him/his)