[NABS-L] Blind Friendly University

Emily Schlenker eschlenker at cox.net
Sun Sep 27 19:49:31 UTC 2020

Wichita State University is currently accommodating one such student. I work in the academic accessibility and accommodations group, and we seem to be doing a pretty good job. The reason they’re doing so well with this content is because I was the one who filed a federal complaint against the University and since then things have been getting better. I am only telling you that I filed a complaint so that you know I am not seeing this from the outside and making assumptions about how well the school is doing. I get to work with all of the accessible materials that are provided for the student including braille, tactile graphics, and accessible software when necessary.
I am not saying WSU is perfect, but I know that if you go here you will have a fighting chance, which you will not have at many other universities especially if you have to build their accessibility for something they have never accommodated before, which does happen quite a lot of the time with blind students in stem.
Good luck!
Emily

Sent from my iPhone