[NABS-L] Stop, Drop, and Read: February NABS Notes are Live!

Elizabeth Rouse elizabethrouse.nfb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 14:00:00 UTC 2021

Hey, NABSters!

Dropping into your inboxes with a hot delivery, but don’t worry! You can take
the heat!

Stop whatever you’re doing and take a peek at the February edition of NABS
Notes, which are pasted below and attached for your convenience.

If you see something that you find interesting, we encourage you to take
the initiative to get involved. We cannot sustain our current efforts
without the hard work and dedication of our members.

Be well, and reach out if you’ve got questions!

Elizabeth

NABS Notes – February 2021

*“True, we love life, not because we are used to living, but because we are
used to loving. There is always some madness in love, but there is also
always some reason in madness.” -Petrach*

Welcome to the February edition of our NABS Notes! With a presidential
inauguration, Super Bowl LV, and Washington Seminar all in our rearview
mirror, 2021 has already been a year for the books; however, we still hope
you’ll take some time to catch up on all things new with NABS. Read on to
learn more about our upcoming events and updates from committees. In this
edition you will find:

•           A Message from the Board

•           February Blog Post

•           February Episode of the NABS Now Podcast

•           Committee Updates

•           Stay Connected—NABS Social Media

Flying Through February!

It’s difficult to believe that yet another Washington Seminar has come and
gone and that March is quickly approaching. We want to express our
gratitude to everyone who made both our Winter Seminar and NABS Unmuted an
incredibly fun success! A special and heartfelt thank you also goes out to
the people who made our first ever virtual auction a great success,
including the members of our planning committee: Edward Shaham, Elizabeth
Rouse, Logan Stenzel, Robert Parsons, and Trisha Kulkarni.

If you missed our NABS Winter Seminar or simply want to revisit any of the
wonderful presentations, we invite you to listen to this Zoom recording
<https://zoom.us/rec/play/WFWW1An2qgx4HyT2QY3f-zmJhzSP-3qIeZssVbx_TquYo4SJlHfjcWjmthryJ3e9Gj0lc3FgoCnU0_dR.ng02Vv1JH22HeqhW>
.

Looking forward to the coming months, the fun doesn’t stop! We encourage
anyone who hasn’t already registered for the 2021 Midwest Student Seminar
in March to get registered
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeGvIoUWComu46pFwY5l5AVX4WZ7aNwAaA7SyJT4xfBw6cw6A/viewform?gxids=7628>,
and direct any questions to our 1st Vice President, Kenia Flores
<kflores at keniaflores.com>. Our NABS Board will also be gearing up for the
2021 national convention, which was announced at the Great Gathering In to
be hosted virtually this summer by the National federation of the Blind of
Maryland. We anticipate it will be the largest gathering of blind people
yet, and we are confident that the presence of our students will be loud
and proud throughout the week.

February Blog Post | Advice on Credit Cards for Beginners

Intimidated by the prospect of applying for your first credit card? Check
out this month’s blog post
<https://thestudentslate.wordpress.com/2021/02/15/advice-on-credit-cards-for-beginners-by-joe-orozco/>,
written by Joe Orozco, dedicated to understanding what credit cards are and
how they can ultimately serve a positive purpose. Remember that taking
steps toward developing your skills in financial literacy will benefit you in
the long run. Happy and smart spending!

February Episode of the NABS Now Podcast | Live Your Life with Love

Valentine’s Day is a time designated to the celebration of every kind of
love, including familial, friendly, and romantic. In this episode of the
NABS Now Podcast, we hear from Texas Affiliate President Norma Crosby and
her First Gentleman Glenn as they allow listeners a glance into their
story, which begins with a friendship founded in the Federation. This
couple, approaching their 32nd anniversary, offers a personal and humorous
take on navigating the world of love alongside your best friend. Whether
you’re celebrating on February 14 this year or not, this episode will
introduce you to both a set of fantastic Federation leaders and a
kindhearted couple that can teach us all a thing or two about laughing,
living, and loving.

Also in this episode, you will find sporadic dating safety tips that can
help ensure you’re starting off into the world of love as safely and
confidently as possible. For more information, click here.
<https://www.adt.com/resources/dating-safety-tips?back=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fclient%3Dsafari%26as_qdr%3Dall%26as_occt%3Dany%26safe%3Dactive%26as_q%3Dsafety+tips+for+dating%26channel%3Daplab%26source%3Da-app1%26hl%3Den>

Thank you to special guests Norma and Glenn Crosby.

Created and produced by Nina Marranca, Elizabeth Rouse, Kenia Flores, and
Seyoon Choi.

Are you interested in assisting with the planning and production of the
NABS Now Podcast? Email Nina at: ninam0814 at gmail.com for more information.

Find us on Spotify
<https://open.spotify.com/show/47rJlZrFHD4EIqvgLRNhHM>, Apple
Podcasts
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nabs-now-podcast/id1507437256?uo=4>,
Google
Podcasts
<https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy8xYWRjNWZmNC9wb2RjYXN0L3Jzcw==%20>,
or see our Anchor page <https://anchor.fm/nabs-now%20> for more ways to
listen!

Committee UpdatesJoining the Party with Only a Listen or a Subscription

The NABS Outreach Committee encourages you to tune in for the latest
episodes of the NABS Now Podcast, joining the over 4,000 listeners who gain
knowledge and so much more from our new and exciting content. We also hope
you’ll drop by The Student Slate <https://thestudentslate.wordpress.com/>,
the official blog of the National Association of Blind Students, where
you’re bound to learn something new! While you’re there, don’t forget to
subscribe to stay up-to-date on newly released content. Each month features
a new post covering an exciting topic; we’d love to share whatever tips and
tricks our students reveal with you. Intrigued by our latest initiatives?
Learn more at our next committee meeting, taking place on Sunday, March 14
at 8:00 PM EST. For questions on how to get involved, email Committee Chair
Nina Marranca <Ninam0814 at gmail.com>.

Making Fundraising Dreams a Reality!

The NABS Fundraising Committee is grateful for the continual support of our
endeavors, without which none of our success would come to fruition. Since
the beginning of the new year, our committee members have been focused on
the success of our annual NABS auction, which opened on January 18 and
officially closed on February 10. Thanks to the generous support of our
donors and the collective marketing of our students, state affiliates, and
the national office, NABS raised over $3,000 to support student initiatives
moving forward! We now shift our attention to creating innovative
fundraising opportunities for our national convention. For more information
about these endeavors and how you can support the work we do, please join
us for our next committee meeting, taking place on Sunday, March 14 at 9:00
PM EST. For questions on how to get involved, email Committee Chair Robert
Parsons <Robert.e.parsons at wmich.edu>.

Washington Seminar Year Round: The Push Can’t Stop

The NABS Legislative and Self-Advocacy Committee was so proud to see so
many students participate alongside members of their state affiliates at
this year’s virtual Washington Seminar. On our February committee call,
which included a debrief of Washington Seminar, our members agreed that
legislative advocacy is and should be a year-round effort. With that in
mind, we now transition back to the work of advocating from our districts.
In other news, our #StudentAccessMoments competition will conclude on March
1, 2021, and we cannot wait to know who the judges select as our winners!
For more information on these endeavors and our future projects, join our
next committee meeting, happening on Sunday, March 21 at 8:00 PM EST. For
questions on how to get involved, email Committee Chair Justin Salisbury
<president at alumni.ecu.edu>.

Spreading Student Awareness on D & I

The NABS Diversity and Inclusion Committee thanks all who were able to
attend our February committee call, where we discussed Valentine’s Day as
well as relationships more generally. Currently, we are looking for
individuals interested in developing a diversity and inclusion training for
student leaders throughout the Federation. No previous committee experience
is required to take an active role in this effort, so if you are interested
in getting involved with this work, we encourage you to join our next
committee meeting on Sunday, March 21 at 9:00 PM EST. Unable to attend our
March meeting or simply have more questions on how to get involved? Email
Committee Chair Monica Wegner <Monica.wegner at outlook.com> or join the
committee GroupMe <https://groupme.com/join_group/58566316/Tqug79NE>, where
members coordinate our activities.

… And don’t forget our monthly membership call, taking place on Sunday,
March 28 at 9:00 PM EST!

Connect with Us | NABS Social Media

Follow us on:

Twitter <https://twitter.com/nabslink?lang=en>, Instagram
<https://gramho.com/profile/nabslink/8395929238>, like us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/Nabspage>, join our Facebook group
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/173482726798026>, & join the NABS email
Elizabeth Rouse
She/her/hers
President | Iowa Association of Blind Students
Co-Chair | NABS Outreach Committee
Treasurer | National Association of Blind Students
A proud division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.nabslink.org
elizabethrouse.nfb at gmail.com
563-210-1854