[NABS-L] Back to in-person classes!

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 16:43:27 UTC 2021

Hi Alisha, I'm not really sure what you're asking.  Is this the
first time you'll be on this campus?  I would suggest exploring
it as far in advance as possible and figuring out where things
are in the same way you would if you were learning any other new
area.  College buildings are usually marked on GPS, so you could
also use the remote mode of Blindsquare or another app to explore
remotely.  See if disabled student services has (or will make) a
tactile map of campus.  If not, see if you can get a sighted
friend or family member to blow up a map and make it tactile for
you so you can understand at least the big picture layout and
where the buildings you'll most likely be using this semester are
in relation to each other, major roads, campus landmarks etc.
Once you know where your classes are, I would suggest going to
those buildings and exploring to find where your actual class
rooms are, where important things like bathrooms, water
fountains, stairs, etc. are, where all the doors of the building
take you, etc. etc.  The same goes for your dorm if you're living
on campus and the dining hall if you'll be using that.  I usually
find it's best to go on off times when you don't have to deal
with crowds--explore the class buildings in the middle of a class
period or on the weekend, find the dining hall when it's not a
meal time, etc.  If you're not comfortable just taking a GPS
and/or a map and exploring, and you know someone who lives near
by, maybe see if they'll go with you to explore.  If you don't
know anyone yet and you're going somewhere far from home, maybe
see if disabled student services will give you a person to help
figure out where things are or try hitting up your new roommates
if you have them.  Or if someone, like your parents, is helping
you move in, maybe see if they can stay an extra day or half a
day and go with you to find where things are.

HTH,
Karl