[NABS-L] question on statistics

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 22:28:16 UTC 2021

Hello Candice,

I have taken statistics as a non-traditional student with a major in social science with an interest in research. I started with the lowest level class before taking the class that was required to transfer to a four year university. And I attempted to take the class I needed for my transfer three times before I successfully completed the class.

I worked with a reader from my disabilities office for the in person statistics class. And I used a dedicated tutor for the second online statistics class. The reader was provided through the disabilities office, and the tutor was through the campus tutoring center. I also had the person in charge of the disability office read and input answers for my exams for the second online statistics class.

I received tactile graphs for both classes. The first class was taught in a manner that did not have a lot of visual graphs, and most of the graphs I could understand with verbal descriptions. Although, thinking back to this class, I did use a peg board with thumbtacks for a visual graph that included every data point for my final exam. My professor would have been okay with me using verbal descriptions, but I wanted to make sure I was learning the material and being tested on the material in the most independent and fair manner as possible.

The tactile graphs I received from my disabilities office for the first class were created using a raised line swell machine. The graphs I received from my disabilities office for the second class were created using a Braille embosser. I liked the embossed graphics over the swell machine graphics. Both types of graphs were always rather basic, so I needed my reader or tutor to help me put them into context.

My second statistics class used Excel for a semester long project. When I tried taking the class the second time, I found Excel difficult to use independently for this project. My professor was willing to allow me to use the R program instead. But I was able to work things out with my tutor in a way that he could help me with the project without him doing all the work.

Both of my classes used the TI-84 graphing calculator as part of the class. My disabilities office loaned me a talking TI-84 graphing calculator to use for both my statistics classes. The talking TI-84 graphing calculator is just like a regular TI-84 graphing calculator with a talking component added to it. This made it easy to follow along when my professor described how to use the TI-84 calculator for the class. And I would also make use of office hours to talk to my professors if I had any questions with the calculator commands or a difficult time understanding anything with the class.

I hope you find this information helpful. I know how difficult it can be to resume your journey with higher education after taking some time away for other things in life. So I hope you can find a way to be successful in your statistics class. Please feel free to contact me off list if I can be of further assistance to you.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth Mohnke
lizmohnke at hotmail.com