[NABS-L] M1 Mac Dilemma

JASON ALAMILLO leadershipjba at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 00:04:34 UTC 2021

Hello students, I hope you’re all having a great summer, and for all who are still studying, I wish you lots of luck. I wanted to ask all the Mac users a question. Recently, I was waiting for Apple’s WWDC event to see if they would introduce a new M1X Mac, or something of the sort, that would contain an SD card slot, USB slot, a MagSafe charging port, and best of all, no TouchBar. Unfortunately, they didn’t go over that this past Monday in their event. Now I face a dilemma. As you all know, VR is not always the best, but mine is saying they are willing to get me a new Mac product. Here’s the dilemma. Number 1, my Mac is really slow, it doesn’t load apps quick enough, it takes forever to send messages, mail, and anything else. Editing videos and audio files has become redundant and incredibly slow, and it’s just not working the way it used to. So switching to the M1 would be a good thing because of the faster chip, larger Solid state drive, and all that. But I don’t know if I should wait for them to release a new Mac product until September or October, or not. Should I wait, there could be a possibility that the newer products would bring back the function row of keys and not have the TouchBar, come with extra ports like the SD card slot, another USBC, USB, and a MagSafe charging port, along with having a really fast chip and all that. I am not sure what to do. Yes on one hand, having a faster Mac would be awesome, and I wouldn’t have the troubles I mentioned with the Mac I have now. But I am not a fan of the TouchBar which replaces the function keys on some newer Mac products; and, the first generation M1 Macs don’t have the extra ports I talked about above. So I am asking you all this: If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Would you ask for the current M1 Mac they have now? Specifically the MacBook Pro? Or would you wait until they release a new one which may have extra ports and no TouchBar? I am so confused and I need some help from my fellow students. I can’t wait to hear all of your responses and hopefully I can make a decision based on your advice. It would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all for your suggestions and help.