[NABS-L] Accessible recording software

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 00:19:58 UTC 2021

Hey folks,

I'm in journalism school, and dedicating my year of reporting to
educational accessibility. As an example, I did a really quick
presentation for my cohort last week about universal design. I got the
typical "I never thought about it that way!" reaction. I'm now working
on some stories about Learning Management Systems (LMS's) and some
other super cool stuff. Email privately for details. Happy to share,
and if you know anyone who might be interested in talking/ranting to
me, or hopefully participating in an interview, send them my way.
Doesn't matter if they're a parent, teacher, or whatever else, as long
as they have something to do with educational accessibility for the
disabled. Let's shake up that reporting space.

But to do good work, I need technology. Currently I'm struggling with
Descript, which is a software for computers that you can record and
edit with. It's like Zoom and Reaper all in one, except that it has
much better quality than Zoom. Only one problem: every time I open it
with JAWS, it mutes JAWS. I'm not sure if this is because I'm working
with a beta version, or if Descript is inaccessible. It sort of works
with NVDA, but not well enough for me to accomplish anything.
Thoughts?

If that proves inaccessible, I'm looking for other options. Zoom is a
last resort because the audio is just atrocious by recording
standards. Cleanfeed is okay, but it's having difficulty with my
external microphone. I need recommendations. Thanks.

Best,
Cricket

--
Cricket X. Bidleman, B.A (she/her/hers)
M.A Candidate | Stanford Journalism Class of 2022