[NABS-L] Concussion as a Blind Person

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 22:27:56 UTC 2022

Hi Noah:

First, I'm so sorry you had a concussion and had to deal with all the effects that come with one. I can say from experience that, frankly, concussions suck.

Along with blindness, I'm also epileptic, and a few of my seizures have also resulted in mild concussions. As I've talked with people who have had concussions as a result of seizures, I've found that I had the same effects that sighted people in the same situation had—nausea, headache, dizziness, fatigue, etc. Keep in mind that the effects of concussions are different depending on how bad the concussion was and what caused it, and my eyes never do anything during a seizure or a concussion because I'm totally blind. If there are any effects of a concussion that have to do with vision, that could be a factor for low-vision people that wasn't a factor for me. I hope that helps, and—more importantly—feel better soon!

Chris Nusbaum