[NABS-L] Getting Back to Business: Announcing Our 2022-23 NABS Committees

Trisha Kulkarni, National Student President nabs.president at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:18:20 UTC 2022

Dear students,

I trust that it is a busy but exciting time as the summer draws to a close. Just as classes are starting back up, our NABS Committees are also preparing to hit the ground running this August. I am writing to announce this year’s focus areas and the fabulous leaders who will be guiding their progress.
You will notice that our lineup looks a little different from this past year, in that we have two seemingly new committees. I can assure you that our beloved Outreach and DEI committees are not gone, but restructured to hopefully allow for even greater impact.
Our committees are open to all students to join. We need your thoughts, ideas, and perspectives! You are also welcome to explore and serve on multiple committees if you have the time and interest.
 Note: Although a quick turnaround time, we will be holding committee calls this month, starting with fundraising and content creation this Sunday.

2022-23 NABS Committees
Fundraising Committee
Have you ever had a NABS Representative come to your state convention, attended a regional seminar, or attended Washington Seminar on a scholarship? By joining this committee, you are helping to raise funds to support our members and make these opportunities and more possible.

Chair: Hunter Kuester
Email: hunterkuester2 at gmail.com
Co-Chairs: Aida Talic, Elizabeth Rouse, and Shelbi Felter
Monthly Committee Call: 2nd Sunday of the month at 7:00pm ET.

Content Creation Committee
In a world of digital communication, it is more important than ever that blind students have a creative outlet to document our authentic stories. As part of this committee, you will capture voices nationwide through initiatives such as the NABS NOW Podcast and Student Slate, and ultimately produce long lasting resources for our community and beyond.

Chair: Kinshuk Tella
Email: Kinshuk.tella at gmail.com
Co-Chairs: Sara Luna, Seyoon Choi, and Z’leah Liburd
Monthly Committee Call: 2nd Sunday of the month at 8:00pm ET.

Legislative and Self-Advocacy Committee
Are you passionate about advocating for the rights of all blind students? Does the prospect of learning how to advocate for yourself and others excite you?
Make your voice heard by joining this committee focused on advocating for the rights of blind students on an individual, state, and national level.

Chair: Justin Salisbury
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu
Co-Chairs: Ellie White, Kyle Garcia, and Isabel Rosario
Monthly Committee Call: 3rd Sunday of the month at 7:00pm ET.

Membership Committee
What does it mean to be an active member in our NABS family? How can we best welcome new members to our organization and stay connected with existing ones?
Whether through calls, social media efforts, external partnerships, or mentorship, this committee is focused on sharing the love and resources of our NABS community far and wide.

Chair: Gene Kim
Email: gene.sh.kim at gmail.com
Co-Chairs: Lina Howard, Manahil Jafri, and Tim Olukanni
Monthly Committee Call: 3rd Sunday of the month at 8:00pm ET.

All committees will use the following NABS Zoom information:
https://zoom.us/j/4678833687
One Tap Mobile:
+16468769923,,4678833687#

Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions! We are so excited to get to work!

Yours,
Trisha Kulkarni
President | National Association of Blind Students
A Proud Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.nabslink.org