[NABS-L] GRE Prep

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Sat Aug 20 14:33:51 UTC 2022

Hi Maura,

I think it's great that you're preparing proactively for the GRE. Since I'm getting my PhD in education leadership, I'm immersed in all the talk about trends in higher education on a daily basis, so I want to share this:

Yes, there was definitely a push to waive the standardized testing requirements for undergraduate and graduate programs during the pandemic, but there had already been a movement for programs and universities to divorce themselves from standardized testing. This movement appears to be continuing to live on after the pandemic lockdowns. It has been done in the name of equity. Of course, in higher education, when we talk about equity, it almost never means equity for people with disabilities, but it can sometimes create a positive spillover effect on us. Many universities have been waiving the standardized testing requirements because people from underrepresented racial minorities were not faring as well as more privileged groups, and they wanted to do a better job of embracing DEI principles in their admissions processes.

Additionally, there is very little correlation between standardized test scores and academic success, so they are not good predictors.

Prestige in higher education is still largely rooted in who institutions exclude, so barriers to admission like standardized testing will still live on. If you can take the GRE, I think that's great. The ability to go to graduate school without taking the GRE will continue to be a possibility at many of the institutions that waived it for the pandemic.

Aloha,

Justin

Justin Mark Hideaki Salisbury
he/him/his

Board Member
National Association of Blind Students
A proud division of the National Federation of the Blind
Mobile: (808) 797-8606
Email: president at alumni.ecu.edu
Website: www.nabslink.org