[NABS-L] Advocating for At Home Tests

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Wed Jan 19 03:06:23 UTC 2022

Hi Luke,

That's okay with me if you decide that my story is the one that works best for your venue. I don't think about my story as an issue of it being hard to get the school to read my tests, though. What I really hope to highlight from my experience is that there are certain things that need to be done to keep everyone safe during COVID, and one of those things is that a person who is COVID-positive needs to clear rapid antigen tests on two consecutive days before returning to campus. Because the testing is not yet accessible, I am unable to follow that safety protocol. That potentially puts other people at risk. I have not left my studio apartment since I got my positive test, not even to take out the trash. I should be taking an at-home covid test before I leave my apartment, but I cannot do that because it's not accessible.

I want to do my part to make sure that I am not getting anyone else sick, but staying in isolation until I can clear two at-home rapid antigen tests is not an option that I have.

Aloha,

Justin

Justin Mark Hideaki Salisbury
he/him/his

Second Vice President
National Association of Blind Students
A proud division of the National Federation of the Blind
Mobile: (808) 797-8606
Email: president at alumni.ecu.edu
Website: www.nabslink.org