[NABS-L] Advocating To Restaurants About Accessibility

Sami Osborne sami.j.osborne97 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 22:23:53 UTC 2022

Hi Armando and all,

This is indeed a very interesting topic.

Personally, I don't see the harm in asking the waiter/waitress to read you the menu once you enter the restaurant. That's part of their job; they're in charge of not only taking customer's orders, but also answering any and all questions they might have about the different food/drinks. You have to interact with the waiter or waitress when he or she situates you at a table as well as when you place your order, when your food is served, and when you're paying the bill (as well as if you order a dessert if applicable). If you walk in by yourself with your cane or guide dog, they'd most likely be more than willing to help you out. Additionally, if you're at the restaurant with a friend or family member, he/she can just read you the menu if they're sighted. I've visited several restaurants over the course of my life, both on my own as well as with friends and family. Most (if not all) of the wait staff have been exceptionally friendly, regardless of whether or not I've asked them to help me out personally.

I know I'm probably going way over the top with answering a relatively simple question, but I just wanted to point out that there are multiple ways of knowing what's on the restaurant menu. I know inaccessible websites are frustrating in general for all of us, but you don't have to necessarily know the different food options in advance. Yes, it can be helpful, particularly if you're traveling in a large group setting. However, I personally don't view accessibility (or lack thereof) of restaurant websites as a huge stumbling blocks given the multiple methods you can go by. In my 24 plus years of life, I've only ever visited one (1) restaurant that had a Braille menu, and that was Legal Seafood in Lexington, Mass., where my paternal grandparents used to live before they passed away. As others have stated before me, privately-owned/family-owned restaurants don't normally consider accessibility as a top priority, and in fact I learned in college (when I did a report on the ADA for one of my classes) that these types of venues are not covered under the ADA; only public entities are.

Once again, my apologies for rambling, but I do hope what I'm saying makes some sense here.

Thanks, and I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Sami