[NABS-L] Advocating To Restaurants About Accessibility

Kendra Schaber Kschaber at my.chemeketa.edu
Sat Mar 26 01:14:19 UTC 2022

Hi all!
I agree with walking into a restaurant and talking to the waiter about the
food that's served there. Whenever I go into a restaurant with other blind
people, if there is a braille menu avalible, we'll use it, but only whenever
they're avalible. Since they are not usually there, we'll usually ask the
waiter about the food offered which includes the drinks and desserts. There
are apps that can aid in knowing the food that's on the menu and sometimes,
we'll use those apps such as AIRA, BlindSquare, Happy Menu or even websites
if they're accessible. Since there is no standard to my knowledge regarding
the rules of making things accessible other than that they should be
accessible, there is no standard on how to make menus accessible since the
American's with Disabilities Act was written before the internet took off,
but was also not properly updated, the avalible matereals out there are
patchy at best. When I happen to be with sighted people in a restaurant such
as with my family, I'll take the opportunity to let them read me the menu,
especially in cases where I don't know what I want going into the
restaurant. If I know what I want because I had already been at a particular
restaurant, or if I have an idea of what I want based on the theme of the
restaurant, I'll go ahead and work my orders based on that instead. For
example, if I know that I'm going to eat Mexican food, I'll usually start
with a bean and cheese burrito and work my order from that base and go out
from there. In cases where I know what I want or have an idea of what I
want, I usually don't require a menu of any form because I have enough of a
sense of what I want to get started. Even if I don't know what spasific food
that is being offered, I like to at least know the theme of the restaurant
because that theme gives you a lot of information about what foods are
likely going to be on the menu. I hope this helps!
Kendra