[NABS-L] Taking Case Notes during an Intake Interview

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 23:15:01 UTC 2022

Hi Lizzy,

I used to interview people all the time when I worked for NFB. My
favorite way of interviewing someone was to use my Braille Note. I
would paste the questions in a document, transfer the document onto my
note taker, and write as they answered below the appropriate question.
I did phone interviews, but I always preferred using my note taker so
that I wasn't listening to a screen reader and the person I was
interviewing at the same time. While you are working on your Braille,
you could use a computer. Mostly taking notes on an interview is about
typing, not reading. Just keep an earbud in one ear, face the laptop
away or slightly close the lid, and look at your client while you
type. Then later you can correct any errors. That way you can listen
to each question, ask it, and then type away as they are talking.

Hope this helps.

Julie

--
Julie A. McGinnity
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; American University Washington College of