[NABS-L] Announcing the 2023-2024 Committees!

nabs.president at gmail.com nabs.president at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 00:53:38 UTC 2023

Hi all!

After an exciting national convention and some much needed post-convention
rest, NABS is ready to get right back in action with our committees. The
bulk of the incredible work NABS does with and for blind students across the
country takes place in our committees.

Pick your favorite one or join them all!

Advocacy Committee
As blind students, we have to advocate for ourselves all the time. With
friends and family, with teachers and even with total strangers. Doing it
alone can be difficult. Good thing you don't have to !
Join the advocacy committee and help blind students all over the country
learn how to best stand up for their needs. Help us plan programs and
content and pick up some great tricks for yourself as well. This year, we
are taking a break from legislative work and instead diving deep into
self-advocacy and public speaking. Potential projects include planning
self-advocacy workshops, developing resources for non-visual public speaking
using visual aids, and more.
Chair: Manahil Jafri
Email:  manahiljafri at gmail.com <mailto:manahiljafri at gmail.com>
Meetings: Third Sunday of each month at 7 PM eastern

Content Creation Committee
Sick of able-bodied characters hogging the pop culture and media spotlight?
Come join the Content Creation Committee in designing some media that passes
the mic to blind students. From podcasts to social media posts, we're
looking for passionate people with stories to tell and an ear for
creativity. This committee is all about empowering blind students to share
their creativity online.
Chair: Hunter Kuester
Email: hunterkuester2 at gmail.com <mailto:hunterkuester2 at gmail.com>  Meetings:
Second Sunday of the month at 8 PM eastern

Fundraising Committee
Have you ever had a NABS Representative come to your state convention,
attended a regional seminar, or attended Washington Seminar on a
scholarship? By joining this committee, you are helping to raise funds to
support our members and make these opportunities and more possible. From
trivia nights to auctions to walk-a-thons-our Fundraising team is always
coming up with creative ways to help our organization thrive financially.
Chair: Joshua Olukanni
Email: joshuaolukanni2002 at gmail.com <mailto:joshuaolukanni2002 at gmail.com>
Meetings: Second Sunday of the month at 7 PM eastern

Membership
Do you have a passion for helping people? Would you consider yourself a
walking welcoming committee?
Come be a NABS ambassador and join the Membership Committee! This committee
is all about spreading the love and power of NABS to as many blind students
as possible outside of our organization. This committee will focus on
recruiting new members to NABS, making the organization a more inclusive and
empowering space for current members, and more.
Chair: Gene Kim
Email: gene.sh.kim at gmail.com <mailto:gene.sh.kim at gmail.com>
Meetings: Third Sunday of the month at 8 PM eastern

Looking forward to a productive year with passionate people!

Very best,

Lauren

Lauren Altman

President