[NABS-L] looking to talk Exercise Science

Asia Quinones-Evans aevans.nfb at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 00:41:55 UTC 2023

I will be taking my Kinesiology course this fall and Exercise Physiology 2.
I am in the process of sorting out accommodations for both of these courses
before the classes start. There are several things I would like some
feedback on from other Exercise Science majors.

One item is of making a device called a granometer accessible. There have
been several options thrown out to me and I have chosen the one that I
think will suit me better. I will also need to evauate EKGs. The option a
professor has made for me before was a larger model with puffy paint on it.
The team thinks that this will not give me what I need to complete the
assignment. The difficulty I am having with classes like this is since my
previous aid has moved. The accessibility team is struggling with finding a
replacement for these more visually based classes. My previous aid was
awesome but I am having more trouble with professors with having one in the
classroom and I am not liking this. Does anyone who has taken classes like
this or is in this kind of study have any other thoughts on how to tell my
accessibility team that having a describer in class with me is actually
very distracting to me and others in the class?

Without going into a giant story of everything. There is a so-called Jaws
expert working on my campus now. She is totally sighted and thinks she
knows what a blind person needs to make them more efficient with classes or
other things. I do not like this person for one because she has sight. And
for two not every blind person is the same and just like sighted people
blind people learn in different ways. This is starting to cause issues with
how I want my accommodations  done because the accessibility team  is going
to her first not me when needing to ask how something should be made
accessible.
--
Yours truely,

Asia Quinones-Evans

Phone: 440-670-6509
Email: aevans.nfb at gmail.com

Live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back