[NABS-L] Equal Access to Seating on Public Transportation

Sami Osborne sami.j.osborne97 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 21:42:37 UTC 2023

Hi Elizabeth and all,

That is absolutely correct; you can't be forced to do something if you don't feel it necessary. I don't have a guide dog, although I do have a friend who has one (I've already visited him twice now in the past year or so). He told me that when he flies on Southwest Airlines (which has no assigned seating), the flight attendants will sometimes try to suggest he sit in the back. He doesn't like sitting in the front either, and what he usually does is tell them the back is more convenient for him and his dog. He says they normally relent after he makes his case to them.

As a blind person, it's your responsibility to tell the airport or station employees what you need or don't need. I would even go so far as to tell them that forcing you to do something you don't want is an ADA violation (that's what I did one time when an airport employee tried to force me to ride in a wheelchair).

I've never rode on Amtrak on my own before, although, as someone else pointed out, your seat is assigned on the Amtrak train. If you have your ticket on your phone, you should be able to find what your seat is. That way, if the conductor or station employee is assisting you, you can tell him/her what your seat is. Otherwise, you can show them your ticket on paper if you printed it out or picked it up at the station.

As for traveling on a plane, if you're traveling domestically within the United States, I'd recommend flying with Southwest Airlines. It's relatively cheap compared to other airlines, and it seems to be the go-to airline for lots of Americans out there, blind or sighted. From my experience flying with them, I've also found them to be overwhelmingly accommodating to people with visual impairments, and most (if not all) employees have been very responsive and understanding when I've informed them anything they did to be unnecessary. They also have no assigned seating (unlike other airlines). This means that by law, the employees are not allowed to force you to sit anywhere you don't want to, particularly if you tell them as such.

So yes, it's all a matter of advocacy and you knowing your specific individual needs. I hope all this info is helpful.

Thanks,