[NABS-L] Summer short-term study abroad

Sami Osborne sami.j.osborne97 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 22:05:10 UTC 2023

Hi Lizzy,

I didn't study abroad for a summer session for just 3-5 weeks; I studied abroad for a full spring semester in Paris, France, which was fifteen weeks long. However, the program I was in does offer students the opportunity to study for five weeks in three different countries--Paris, Rome, Italy, and Limerick, Ireland. As a matter of fact, I actually did make friends who took a part in that other program, which is called Discover the World. I was very impressed that she managed to study in three different places as someone with a visual impairment who had never traveled to Europe before. She told me it definitely helped that she already had friends who were able to guide her through the process.

I think it can definitely help you if you know at least someone/others who will be in the same program as you. Personally, I didn't know anyone in the program before I went abroad, however it did help immensely that I was fluent in the French language, and also that I was actually already familiar with France from summer childhood visits to see my maternal relatives.

Otherwise, if you don't know anyone else, I've actually found that it's far easier to make friends while studying abroad than in normal college settings. This is because the community at study-abroad programs is typically a much smaller and friendlier environment. This means there would be far less people judging you for being blind, and thus people are more likely to see you for the person you really are (that definitely happened to me when I was studying abroad in Paris).

Also, I remember you mentioning a while back that you plan to study in Spain. I'm not real familiar with their culture and people's general attitudes if you don't speak Spanish (that is, if you're not familiar with the language). In France, however, it seems like people become far more comfortable when they can see you can speak French, at least a little bit. I'm saying this because that could impact your ability to receive adequate mobility training if you don't speak the language of the country. Otherwise, ask the people in charge of your study-abroad program if they can assist you with this sort of thing. I suggest you either contact them on the phone, or send them an email if you have their contact information (in fact, the corrdinator of my study-abroad program was actually the one who referred me to my O and M instructor in Paris).

I hope all this info is helpful. If you'd like, I'll share the article I wrote for my school newspaper a couple of years ago about my experience studying abroad in Paris during my junior year. The article might help you with the answers to some of your questions as well (although I do have to warn you that it may arise from somewhat of a biased viewpoint as someone who has already had experience with both the country and language).

I wish you the best of luck with your study-abroad experience this upcoming summer!

Thanks,