[nagdu] Barking

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Mon Dec 15 14:19:02 UTC 2008

Hi there.  This happened with my dog when I got her and I've
resolved the problem.  Now she doesn't even pay attention to
dogs.  When you hear her start to get ramped upimmediately put
her in a sit.  If she starts to lunge out of that sit toward the
other dog, correct her and make her sit again.  When she has
calmed down continue walking.  If she lunges again repeat the
process abof
Hope this helps.
Hope and Beignet

Users" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:51:01 -0700
>Subject: [nagdu] Barking

>I have a dog from Leader Dogs.  Today my dog Myrtle started
barking at
>another dog before she saw it and before the dog started barking.
She has
>done this ever since she has got home.  I ahve contacted leader
dogs and have
>tried a gentle leader.  I have tried leash corrections and verbal
corrections
>with no luck.  I think it is aggressive behavior because her tail
goes up and
>her ears are forward with her fur behind her shoulders and tail
sticking on
>end.  She lunged at a dog tonight and I almost fell on the ice.
Otherwise she
>is a very good guide.  Normally she barks at a dog when she sees
them and
>lunges at them.  What do you guys think.  I have contacted my
trainer several
>times and the suggestions she has told me to do have not worked
out.  I'm
>worried I am going to get hurt one of these days because my dog
pulls so
>hard.  I don't know if I will go with LD again.  I would like
this to stop or
>at least be able to get my dog under control.  I don't want to go
to student
>seminars because she can't even handle one dog let alone alot of
them.