[nagdu] Barking

AnnaLisa Anderson annalisa at sector14.net
Tue Dec 16 01:18:21 UTC 2008

Hi Lora,

I'm sorry you're having trouble.  Another girl from Leader that's on the
email list was having a similar problem with her dog.  She had a trainer
come work with her on it, and this is what the trainer suggested to her.
I'm repeating it second hand, so forgive me if I don't describe it very
well.  She called it the name game.  You have to have lots of high value
treats on hand for this, like cooked chicken or cut up hot dogs--something
Myrtle really likes, not just kibble.  Reserve these special treats only for
the name game, she never gets them any other time.  if Myrtle starts to
lunge or bark at another dog, call her name.  As soon as her head turns
toward you, give her a treat and praise her up real good.  Keep doing this
again and again until she gets the idea that when you say her name,
something really good will happen.  You will want to practice doing this in
your house where it's nice and quiet, with no other distractions at first.
Then when she is consistently responding well to her name by turning toward
you, if you know anyone else with dogs that are friendly or that Myrtle
likes, have them help you set Myrtle up so you can try it that way first
before you meet a strange dog.

Hope that makes sense.  This girl said that worked very well with her dog,
and she hardly ever has aggression problems at all now.   It was a lot of
work though to get to that point.

Write to me off list if you want more clarification on this.  Good luck.

AnnaLisa and Sundance

<annalisa at sector14.net>
Checked by AVG.
5:04 PM