[nagdu] Barking

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Tue Dec 16 16:42:43 UTC 2008

Yes, it is called targeting.  I use the word "touch" as the cue for it, not
the dog's name though.

I taught it using clicker training.  You could teach it without the clicker
using the same basic principles though.

I put a high value treat in my closed hand.  99% of dogs will show interest,
I click and open my hand to give the dog the treat.
At first I c/t *click and treat* for any interest the dog has.
also at first I have my closed fist with the treat  only a couple of inches
from the dog.
Then after 2-3 repetitions I only c/t for the nose touching my hand, paws or
other body parts no longer count.
I'll repeat this a few more times.
then I use the same hand that I have been using that still smells like
treats but with no treats in the same closed fist.  When the dog touches the
hand with his nose I  c/t and give the treat with the other hand.
repeat this a few times
Now I would add in variety, asking for a nose to hand target lower, higher,
further away, in all sorts of variations, with increasing distractions,
other dogs, cats, loud noises etc.  You can add in duration too, just delay
the c/t for half a second at first.  Very slowly add more time. Keep adding
variety bit by bit making sure that you don't add in more than one increment
of a variation at a time.  For example you wouldn't ask for a target
outside, at a concert, from 10 feet away when you haven't worked up to that
level.  Small bits with consistent practice and high value treats is the
key.

You can add in a command word from the very beginning if you wanted.
Usually I wait until the dog has some understanding of the concept before
putting it on cue, but you definitely don't have to do it this way.  The
visible presence of your closed fist could serve as the cue for the behavior
too.

I use this a lot as an incompatible behavior.  If my dog is sniffing, I can
ask for a hand target.  they can't sniff and touch my hand at the same time.
If I want the dog to position themselves in a way that they have not done
before or in a new place I can use my hand as a target to get their body in
the position I want.  If their attention wanders I can ask for a target to
regain their focus.  I also use this behavior as a bridge to other things I
will teach, but that probably isn't important in this situation.

To Lora with the dog showing aggressive signs, lunging and barking...  I
don't know if this will help, but it certainly can't hurt.  this will only
help you have better control of your dog and better attention on you.  It
will not make your dog non-aggressive.  I still think getting someone
professional out very soon to help you is the best thing.  Aggression is not
something to ignore or delay in addressing.  It can escalate quickly and
could be dangerous for you, your dog, others and other dogs.

HTH
Julie