[nagdu] Barking

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Dec 15 13:29:47 UTC 2008

Hi Lora.
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.  It does sound like a serious problem.
The bottom line is that you got a guide dog to make your life better or
easier.  If it's not doing that, then you need to think about retiring
that dog.  At least, that's what I tell myself when I have to face the
question.  It's not easy, because we love our dogs.  But it does sound
like she is making your life harder--you're afraid she will pull you down,
and you're afraid to take her to places you'd like to go because of what
she might do.
I am sorry if that sounds rough--it's just how I see it.

Sometimes, deciding to retire a dog can be the best for both of you.  I
had a dog who stressed out in the Big City.  I tried and tried to make it
work, but, when we almost fell on the subway tracks for a second time, I
decided I had to give up because we weren't safe.  He was much happier and
calmer as a pet, and I was safer with another dog, and happier too,
because I wasn't always worrying.
Good luck.
Tracy