[nagdu] super shuttle

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Fri Dec 19 20:57:16 UTC 2008

Rebecca,

I obviously can't speak for Marsha as to why she can't use paratransit but I
can maybe give some reasons anyone might use Super Shuttle.

First off, Super Shuttle is a commercial service. Anyone can book a trip or
get a ride, from the airport cue.

Many paratransit services have difficulty with airports. They may be able to
drop someone off but coming back to pick that person up is another story.
Since at most airports vehicles are not allowed to park and wait, or even
pick up passengers at the curb of the baggage claim area, paratransit vans
must drive around and around the airport until they are sure the person is
at the curb to be picked up.

I've taken paratransit from our airport, which I thought was pretty straight
forward but nooo. It's an adventure each time, not knowing where the driver
will go, if he or she will understand that though their van is the same size
as the commercial vehicles, it does not need to go to that area to pick me
up. Sometimes even convincing airport staff of this is a chore.

In other words, paratransit from the airport can often be more bother than
it's worth. That doesn't take into account scheduling too. If you're flight
gets in after paratransit service shuts down or on a weekend when there is
limited service, you're SOL.

As for cabs, cost is a factor. Super Shuttle may not be the cheapest, but
it's considerably less expensive than many cabs. We don't have super Shuttle
here in Columbus but do have similar local services. A cab costs me about
$40 from my house to the airport, a 15 minute drive. The shuttle when I take
it and pay full price, costs around $25. Our transit system also has sedan
voucher coupons you can purchase for $3.50 each. The service they use is
also one of the airport shuttle services. $3.50 versus $40?

The nice part about living in the Baltimore metro area for Marsha is that
she has access to a number of these types of shuttle services as I
understand it. I do believe that for pickups from and to your home, you have
to schedule through the national number, but I've used them many times at
airports just by walking out and finding one without a scheduled pickup.

I agree also with those who say, you do not need to tell them about your
dog.

 Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com