[nagdu] Bad News for me

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 20:11:44 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,   I have some bad news to share. It appears that Wanagi is not
going to make it as a guide dog. When I first got her, I new I was taking a
chance on her as she was a rescue from a shelter. When I had her checked by
my vet ,he said she was fine and he did not see any reason to xray her as
she seemed to move just fine. Since I was pressed for money at the time,I
did not persue it. I should have listened to my inner voice telling me to
check it out more thouroughly. It was summer and out side of the accident
with my wheelchair, and her diagnosis of Vally Fever,which she is recovering
from ,I just did not think any thing else was wrong. I have discovered that
she  has a hip problem.It is not noticeable when she is walking, which, the
first part of her training was spent walking next to her trainer. Now that
she is being worked next to the wheelchair and she isn't walking ,but
trotting,It is noticeable. I took her to the grocery store on Christmas
Eve,  to get  some last minite things for dinner and it was raining and
cold. She started out ok, but as the trip progressed, she started to lag
behind me.It seemed that she was having trouble keeping up with me. Since a
guide needs to be some what out in front of me, I was pulling her. I had to
use my cane ,the rest of the trip.Even when I slowed the chair down , she
still could not lead me. When we got home, I had my neighbor watch her move
and he agreed that something was wrong.I think ,because it was rainy and
cold, that it was  hurting her to trot next to the wheelchair. When it was
summer and good weather ,it did not show.I am very dissapointed as I love
this dog and she loves me. I will make an appointment to get the xray,but I
know what it will tell me. Now I must find another dog and start all over
again.I will not make this mistake again.I will keep Wanagi as I could never
part with her, and I know it would make her unhappy as well, if I were to
place her in another home. At least she was saved from death row at the
shelter and can live a good life as a much loved pet.Hope every one had a
great Christmas , Chanuka ,or whatever holiday you celebrated, and I hope
you all have a happy new year.      Mardi