[nagdu] Nfb centers and guide dogs

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Sun Nov 2 18:37:35 UTC 2008

That's what concerns me.  I don't think I'm going to go to one.
Sigh.  I just can't not work my guide dog.  I think, as do many
people on this list, that white cane skills are a good thing to
have especially when the dog is unable to work.  I sometimes
leave my guide ajt home and use my cane just so I can get more
cane skills, but I don't think I could work her so little at the
centers.  After all, most centers have 9 month long programs.  I
think it would seriously jeopardize the dog's training, because
it's just not working enough.  I don't want to start a debate, I
was just culrious about the policy.  Shy smile.  I would really
like to see the centers have programs that the student could
choose to take certain classes.  For example, I'd want to take
home management and cooking and perhaps wood shop.  THAT way the
program can be taylored to the individual ptherson.
Just my opinion.
Take care all!
Hope and Beignet

Users'" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:56:34 -0500
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] Nfb centers and guide dogs

>As far as I'm concerned, the NFB center attitude on the use of
guide dogs
>during training is ridiculous.

>J.M.O.

>Dan Weiner

On Behalf
>Of Jennie Facer
>Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:58 AM
>To: 'NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog
Users'
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] Nfb centers and guide dogs

>Hi Hope,

>I am not going to say that the centers are very guide dog
friendly, but they