[nagdu] guide dog crewsing to the Bahamas

Janna Shumila jshumila at mts.net
Fri Nov 7 19:24:43 UTC 2008

Hello all.  Hope everyone and their pups are well.

I don't often get a chance to post here, mostly just read.  Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has crewed with their guide to the Bahamas? We are going on a Carnival Crews, departing from Florida and docking in Freeport and Nassau.  I have all of the necessary paperwork well underway for our departure, and vaccines etc. taken care of or scheduled, according to the travel permit I received.  So that's not an issue.  I also have a sitter lined up, should I decide it's not in my dog's best interest to have her accompany me.  What I'm wondering though, is if anyone has actually worked with their guide in either of these areas? I want to know whether it is safe for a dog in these places in terms of cleanliness, if there are problems with loose or wild dogs, what were the attitudes of the community and businesses toward the dog, and was access with the dog an issue? I would imagine we will be in the more touristy areas, if that makes a difference, because we don't have all that long at each stop.  I really would like to take my dog on this trip, but I am not prepared to risk her health and safety to do so.  I would rather leave her at home where I know she'll be well taken care of, than put her in a potentially dangerous situation.  Also, if access is an issue and I will be unable to do the things I want to do because having her accompany me will create a problem, again I will leave her at home.

Any experiences people can share would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Janna and Josie