[nagdu] therapy dog v service dog

Bunny Davidson bunnydavidson at live.com
Sun Nov 23 19:49:46 UTC 2008

Hello anne,

before i became disabled i was one of the first to have certified therapy dogs
admitted into one of NJ better hospitals.

the name of the organization that tested my dogs and i was called
"therapy dogs international" their headquarters is in wyoming, and i know
they did a nice monthly magazine sent to all paid up members.  Perhaphs now
they even have an online site, list or something.

fell free to google and contact them, and pass on that article.

I am in total agreement - i have been on both ends of this situation and you are right THERAPY DOGS ARE NOT PRIVY TO SAME ACCESS AS SERVICE DOGS,
AND MANY FOLKS WITH THERAPY DOGS DO THINK / ACT LIKE THEY ARE SAME.

A few months ago i was at a community / church dinner- the minister has a little teacup yorkie that she takes everywhere with her in a purse, then lets it run wild without a leash when she gets to her destination (ie: the church dining hall).

I had to go over and ask her to restrain or remove her dog because it kept coming up to me and my dog and jumping all over and causing kaos.
She said, oh my so and so is a service dog too, we go to hospitals and nursing homes...blah blah...
 I tried to explain that a even a service dog is required by the USDJ to be leashed/ and kept with the person it served, not let loose to roam in public venues disturbing other patrons.
 I also tried to explain that what her dog did by going to hospitals was not acting as a "service dog" but was legally refered to as a "therapy dog".(she didnt listen kept saying she understood, so and so was a service dog blah blah) - i did try to explain what a service dog was and what difference it made legaly but i know she didnt listen: I returned there the next month for the monthly meal and her silly dog was all over the place loose again and she was no where in sight of the disturbance it caused to me and my dog.

I hope to find this nutty rev. and get her email / or give her a copy of this article myself if i can.

Bunny