[nagdu] Wal-Mart policy on animals makes odd

Ginger Kutsch gingerkutsch at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 19:21:29 UTC 2008

FYI. The following opinion/letter was recently published in the Bowling Green Daily News at:
http://bgdailynews.com:80/articles/2008/10/16/opinion/letters/letter2.tx

Wal-Mart policy on animals makes odd

My name is Bob Talley an I am a Wal-Mart employee. Our store manager made us aware of a current change in Wal-Mart policy covering service animals and comfort animals.

It has long been understood that a service dog for the blind and deaf are welcome anywhere the public is allowed. It has been the addition of what is called a comfort animal that has us scratching our heads.

Wal-Mart policy now says if a customer enters our store with any animal that the customer claims to be their service/comfort animal, we must let them enter.

I asked our store manager, Thuan Trin, exactly what that covered. His reply was "any animal."

I ask him if a customer walked in with a dog, cat, boa, goat or a zebra and claimed it was a service animal, they were allowed in. His answer was, "yes absolutely."

I and many of my fellow associates and customers don't understand how this is allowed. Our Wal-Mart (store No. 0299) is a supercenter, which has a full grocery store.

Please help us understand why this is allowed and how this does not go against state and federal health codes and public safety.

Bob Talley

Bowling Green