[nagdu] Haas anyone ever gotten lost in their own yard?

Garry and Joy Relton relton30857 at cox.net
Sun Apr 5 21:43:15 UTC 2009

Hi Alison,

I think that this will be the first of many incidents where you'll get lost
in your back yard. Your yard will change in size, location and even area but
you handled it and that's what's important.

About three years ago I had an aneurism burst in my brain which changed my
hearing and my sense of direction. Fortunately, much of those problems have
reversed themselves. When I first went walking around my neighborhood by
myself I took my cell phone and more than once I had to call home to ask my
husband to come and find me because I had gotten confused and began to
panic. Over the last several months I have traveled much more on my own with
Belle and I have realized that I haven't lost the skill of  analyzing my
situation and of making decisions. I find snow and wind have a tendency to
change the echo which bounces off of structures so you have to make
allowances. I understand what you mean about easier to handle on short leash
but I have found I can plant my feet, extend the leash and follow it up to
the dog easily. It took a little time and experience but, my dogs have had
an easier time of going when they have a little room to move and sniff.
Planting my feet, though helps me to keep my feet clean, and the dog to
understand that we're out there to do business. I happen to have a fenced in
back yard so, if I get confused I can look for that barrier and follow it.
You obviously have a barrier as well, the busy road. The important thing is
that you might have felt panicky but you didn't panic. Good, job!

By the way, remember that the problem is not really a blindness related
problem. Many people get panicky if they turndown a street they don't
remember or have to take a detour. It's just that when it's a blind person's
problem we feel embarrassed and venerable. Let's face it, how many people
want to admit they got lost in their back yard. The bottom line is, you
didn't, you just got confused. Also, remember, exploring and going through
experiences helps us all to grow. Keep growing.

Hugs form Joy with Belle.