[nagdu] Haas anyone ever gotten lost in their own yard?

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Sun Apr 5 22:04:10 UTC 2009

Hi Laurie,
That is a great idea! Occupaws did not specifically train dogs to
guide on leash, although when I am close to the house like I
usually am (smile), he sort of naturally finds the house.  I did
not know it was possible to train the dogs to deliberately guide
on leash.  I will definitely try that!
Allison and Gilbert

Users" <nagdu at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 12:19:16 -0700 (PDT)
>Subject: Re: [nagdu] Haas anyone ever gotten lost in their own
yard?

>Hi Allison,
>You've obviously already thought of several things that can help
in the future, but here's another possibility to consider.
/smile/

>I don't know which program you trained with (whether or not they
teach this), but it is often beneficial to work with teaching a
guide some leash guiding in safe settings such as, for instance,
your own yard.

>You can slowly work the dog up to finding the house, for example,
by giving him/her a helpful start (pointing him/her in the right
direction and naming the destination).  After relieving the dog,
even if you're fairly close to the house, tell your dog "forward
home" and let him/her lead you on leash back to the house, for
instance.  Each time, try doing this from farther and farther
from the house.  (You hold the leash relatively close to the clip
to feel the direction of travel.)

>I have used a technique of naming things plus setting the dog up
for success (pointing the dog in the right direction) and I've
taught my dogs destinations such as our mailbox, the place where
we wheel the garbage container out to on pick up day, the place
where we wheel our recycling container out for pick up and home
(to mean whatever building we have just come out of).

>I did not attend a school that teaches this.  I got the idea from
my own experiences, and was affirmed and encouraged by listening
to the GDF grads talk about it.  I use the same technique as for
teaching a dog to find a certain thing, that I was taught by
instructors at the program I did attend.  /smile/

>I have had much success with teaching this to three dogs now.
You just need to take it slowly and use patience with your dog.

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/lauriemeht
a%40yahoo.com