[nagdu] Guide Dog Schools

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Tue Apr 14 00:35:31 UTC 2009

Hi Laurie,
Wasn't there something in the guide dog board about a person having to
already be a school's graduate before they'll consider you for the home
training?  For instance, a person needs to have already obtained a dog from
Guide Dogs For the Blind in the past before they could get a GDB dog via
home training.  I thought there was something about that in the board's
rules - GDB couldn't train a person through its home training program unless
that person has had a dog from them in the past that they obtained in the
on-campus training program.  I could be wrong (grin!).  I know the schools
I've gone to have said that a person has to already be their graduate before
they'll do home training.

No, I understand about the schools coming to do home training for their
California grads.  No worries!  That's different - the California resident
is a current graduate from whatever program they were getting dogs from out
of state.  If I wanted Seeing Eye to train me at home for my next dog, they
could come and do that - unless the guide dog board tries to screw that up
for guide dog users here in CA.

I do wish they'd get rid of that board anyway - no use for it anymore.  Oh
sure - GDB can and does train out of state people in their homes in another
state.  You know, I've never even heard of GDB until I moved here.  In New
England, all the guide dog users I knew there had dogs from Guiding Eyes,
Guide Dog Foundation, Seeing Eye, and now, Fidelco.  I think there's someone
from this list who has a dog from GDB and she lives in the Boston area.

Linda and Landon