[nagdu] guiding eyes application question

JULIE PHILLIPSON jbrew48 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 19 17:52:43 UTC 2009

Marion anytime you go to a doctor you are asked for health insurance
information.  If you should need to see a doctor during training I would
think it would be helpful to have this information in your file.  Let me
give you an example because this was a real situation when I was in training
for my second dog.  We were all out for dinner one evening and I was sitting
next to an older gentleman in the class.  After a while  it came time for
desert and he was talking quite reasonably to someone, but what he was
saying just wasn't right.  He ordered more spaghetti for desert.  I then was
talking to him and I could tell he wasn't even hearing me.  I got the
instructors attention and said I think something is wrong and we need to go.
He got the gentleman out to the van and I got in with him while the rest of
the class got ready to go.  Once the rest of us were back to the school the
instructor took him to the hospital.  It turned out that he was having a
stroke.  He was not in any condition to have given his health insurance
information and many times doctors will not treat someone before they have
that information.  You may see that as being paternalistic but I would
rather they have that information up front rather then wait for an emergency
situation to develop.  A lot of folks who are diabetic are in every class
and like it or not sometimes things happen.  In my first class one guy was
diabetic and had very pour control of his sugar levels mostly because he
just didn't take care of himself.  We need to realize that health conditions
do happen and not everyone is super healthy.
Julie Phillipson